
Sheriff Matthews wasn't happy to hear my voice at the other end of the phone; the groggy and raspy voice answered, “Matthews here”. “Sam, it’s Grace”, I said, surprised by how nervous I sounded. A long pause, and I waited for a response, then it came; “Grace, it’s 5:00AM, this better be good, and I mean something of importance not some cockamamie dream story of yours” “Listen”, I said, before he could continue his tirade, I know where she is, and yes, she’s dead…murdered.” “Cee Cee was murdered and she lying at the bottom of the old abandoned mine just off Spruce Tree Road on Mt. Charleston”.
Having no desire to hear the avalanche of insults to follow the news that I just delivered, I hung up the phone, and feeling a bit of relief; I told myself that I had done all could, I could do no more than inform Sam, and now it was up to him and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to solve the crime. My work was done; I am a Veterinarian, not a CSI, or Homicide Detective, or a Psychic. I had to stay out of it. The kind of attention I draw due to my unique gift is not good for my new and struggling veterinarian practice. My gift makes people a bit uncomfortable; people think that just by being around me, I will see how their death will come. Some people see me as a personification of the Grim Reaper. Not true, I don't own a hooded black cloak, nor do I carry a scythe, I don’t have a crystal ball, I don’t play with Tarot Cards, and I don’t get visions. I have dreams, and the dreams are of events that have already happened and, and the events can not be undone, changed or otherwise altered in any way…I see what has happened in the past, and make no claims on what will happen in the future. Many people are unnerved by my gift and often times if I am not politely avoided, I am treated with a great deal of hostility, both reactions generated by fear. Animals, mostly cats and dogs, are never unnerved by me, and seem to understand and accept my gift and take to me without fear. Animals of all sorts accept, without judgment, my special gift and me. I don’t seem strange or freaky to animals, and I suppose this is why I became a veterinarian rather than an MD.
Sam took my phone call seriously, as much as he wanted to avoid me and as much as he disliked my unique gift, Sam knew my gift was real, and he called me right back after I had delivered the news to him and hung up. He asked me to meet him at the crime scene to help locate the mine; since I was the only person besides the murderer to know where Cee Cee’s body had been dumped. I promptly told him, no….my work was done…it was up to him and the LVMPD to solve the crime. I hung up again and got ready for work; for my real job, a job a loved. I had a 10:00 AM appointment with a new patient, a rescue puppy named Lucy-Mae. My work with Sam and the LVMPD was done!
Having no desire to hear the avalanche of insults to follow the news that I just delivered, I hung up the phone, and feeling a bit of relief; I told myself that I had done all could, I could do no more than inform Sam, and now it was up to him and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to solve the crime. My work was done; I am a Veterinarian, not a CSI, or Homicide Detective, or a Psychic. I had to stay out of it. The kind of attention I draw due to my unique gift is not good for my new and struggling veterinarian practice. My gift makes people a bit uncomfortable; people think that just by being around me, I will see how their death will come. Some people see me as a personification of the Grim Reaper. Not true, I don't own a hooded black cloak, nor do I carry a scythe, I don’t have a crystal ball, I don’t play with Tarot Cards, and I don’t get visions. I have dreams, and the dreams are of events that have already happened and, and the events can not be undone, changed or otherwise altered in any way…I see what has happened in the past, and make no claims on what will happen in the future. Many people are unnerved by my gift and often times if I am not politely avoided, I am treated with a great deal of hostility, both reactions generated by fear. Animals, mostly cats and dogs, are never unnerved by me, and seem to understand and accept my gift and take to me without fear. Animals of all sorts accept, without judgment, my special gift and me. I don’t seem strange or freaky to animals, and I suppose this is why I became a veterinarian rather than an MD.
Sam took my phone call seriously, as much as he wanted to avoid me and as much as he disliked my unique gift, Sam knew my gift was real, and he called me right back after I had delivered the news to him and hung up. He asked me to meet him at the crime scene to help locate the mine; since I was the only person besides the murderer to know where Cee Cee’s body had been dumped. I promptly told him, no….my work was done…it was up to him and the LVMPD to solve the crime. I hung up again and got ready for work; for my real job, a job a loved. I had a 10:00 AM appointment with a new patient, a rescue puppy named Lucy-Mae. My work with Sam and the LVMPD was done!
Hello! Like your writing style and am enjoying the story! I Look forward to the story unraveling before my eyes! and wish you all the best in your pursuit of writing!
ReplyDeleteHmm... I was the last comment ... well, I want more people to read this! ) So I awarded you A Lovely Blog Award! Here it is:
ReplyDeletechickwithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/04/lovely-blog-award.html
Take Care!